Monday, October 1, 2007

Creating traditions at the airport


After a great week in Spain, I returned to Ireland for a few more days before my big trip to Argentina. To save a few hundred dollars, I few into Dublin, which is about 100 miles from Belfast. Normally this wouldn't be too much of a problem as I have great family willing to make the long drive down to pick me up, however my flight was arriving at 11:20PM. Not only did Uncle Brendan meet me at the airport, but my Granda Stewart also made the late night drive down, dressed for the occasion in a suit!!! Now this may not seem like a such a huge deal, but Granda isn't known for making trips, especially all the way to Dublin. But meeting family at the airport is become a fast tradition for him. He's also added a new tradition of stopping for a cup-of-tea stop at the side of the road not too far from the airport. So in the wee hours of the night, on a deserted road nearby, the three of us had tea and sandwiches at a roadside pullout agreeing that anything done more than once makes it a tradition.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a great photo of you and Granda, and what a wonderful surprise to have him meet you at the airport. Here's to new traditions!!!

Kinney said...

Nicola, That final line about meeting your Grandpa and having tea was like a fine ending in a fabulous novel. ...brings a tear to the eye of those who wish they still had grandparents to share such moments with. What a great pic!

Brendan said...

Hi Nicola
Great photo of you and you grandfather, next time he's over with us I'll show him the blog
I think he will be chuffed.
Did you know that the little lapel pin he's wearing is called a "Pioneer Pin" it means he (and your Granny) abstains from hard drink. Mind you one of you Granny's favourite desserts was Sherry Trifle and the more sherry in it the better If your reading this Stephanie and Kathyrn Hi from all here
Brendan