Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Gelato addict

Last night Gena came over to see my new apartment and bring a house warming present. She has a coffee maker she no longer uses and kindly passed it along to me. A few minutes later, she said, "I have another little gift" with a sparkle in her eye. "Hmmm, what is this?" I responded, clearly not recognizing the boutique style gift bag. I peered into it and found a small styrofoam container.
***Italian gelato !!!***

About 40% of Buenos Aires' population is ethnically Italian and when they immigrated here, they brought their yummy artisan ice cream trade. I've tasted my fair share of ice cream and desserts, but this was heavenly. I accused Gena of being like a drug dealer with the first taste free and then suddenly you are addicted. I belive that if world leaders could gather together and share some of this dulce de leche gelato, they'd be overcome with happiness and joy, forget their conflicts and world peace would ensue. (yes, the gelato was that good!....or maybe I'm still enraptured with last night's gelatto!)

This morning while walking to the subte (the subway), I was reminiscing about last night's ecstasy when I suddenly stepped on one of the many loose sidewalk pavers. The sidewalks here are not poured concrete but instead consist of 18" X 24" pavers which are frequently loose. After shop owners hose down their section of the sidewalk, water accumulates under these loose pavers and when stepped on, they send a dirty splash of water on your feet if you step on them in such a way. There I was dreaming of gelato when YUCK, street juice covered my feet and drenched the leg of my pants. My feet were sticky all the way to class! I suppose I should be more careful where I dream about gelato!

PS. Happy Halloween to everyone!

1 comment:

traveler with wine said...

Il mio dolce, ciò che la storia molto piacevole. uno di di gelato di mmm il mio favorites. non può attendere di assaggiarlo!