Thursday, February 28, 2008

Flodding

I haven't seen much rain since I've been to Buenos Aires. Supposedly the rainy season was in October and November, but I hardly noticed it. Most of the rain is dumped on the west side of the Andes Mountains, into Chile. But today we got more than our share of it.

My day started in the afternoon by taking a taxi to work. I was running a bit late and thought the colectivo (bus) might cut it a bit short. It had been pouring in the morning, but was finally clearing up with blue skies in the distance. We couldn't cross Ave. Juan B. Justo through, a major street bisecting the city. On the radio, I could hear that there was a meter of water blocking several roadways. The taxi driver and I went on a semi tour of the city, trying to find a thoroughfare. All streets were blocked and drivers were getting ansty.

After about 30 minutes, the taxi driver suggested I take a bus as they were the only ones who seemed to cross at Ave. Santa Fe. This of course was way out of the way from the hospital. Even the Subte (subway) had stopped. Once on the bus, we still didn't seem to be moving, It was a sea of Colectivos though, as most cars had been diverted back to where they came from. Slowly but surely, we made our way though. Wow, I thought, this reminded me of New Orleans. (Of course, I recognize this pales in comparison to the amount of flooding New Orleans had after hurricane Katrina.)

After crossing Ave Juan B. Justo, I hopped off the bus and grabbed another cab. This was one long and expensive journey to work. But at lease my toes were dry.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Woah, that's a lot of water. Glad you were safe. So...I think we need an entry about that interesting costume you're wearing in the photos...HAHA!