Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Global Voting

I don't think of myself as a very political person. It's not something I'm super passionate about, but I do feel it's important to know about local and world politics and it's also very important that people exercise their right to vote and not take it for granted.

I'm excited about this election year mostly because the Democrats have two very strong candidates for President and I'm very optimistic for what 2009 will bring. I'd be happy to have either Hillary or Obama represent me in November. I'm ready to feel proud of my country again because our government is not something I've been so proud of recently.

So when I learned that the Democrats Abroad would be holding the first ever Global Primary, with their very own delegates representing them at the National Convention, I knew I wanted to participate in this historic event. Sure, global expats would have far fewer delegates at the convention than California, but perhaps my single vote would represent a bigger percentage of the delegates say there. The global primary would also be testing an online voting system which could be used in future elections. The picture above is of me casting my vote in Tazz Bar. (Maybe the US would get more voters out if they held elections in the local pubs! By contrast, in Argentina, all pubs are closed the day of elections.)

Around the world, on Super Tuesday, Democrats Abroad were having parties to watch the results streaming from US television channels and casting their own votes. I joined expats from Hong Kong, Bangkok, Dublin, Berlin, Lebanon and more for this exciting night. It was a great party too. There must have been over 200 of us in Buenos Aires. While discussions are usually about where you can find the best Mexican food, or navigating the Immigration office to renew a visa, we were in full blown discussions about national health care, fundamental beliefs of Libertarians, and how the electorate college functions, all while sipping Argentina's Quilmes beer.

After placing my vote, a woman from Reuters approached me for an interview. CNN, Reuters, ABC, and Argentine Newspapers were there for the event. Read more about the election here and my 15 minutes of fame. Maybe I should pick a different country to live in for each election!
http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-31789020080206

2 comments:

traveler with wine said...

here is an update on vote abroad. http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/02/obama-wins-the.html

Stephanie said...

I think it's important to have a say in your country's politics, no matter where you are in the world on that day. What a very cool thing to participate in -- and to get interviewed. Awesome!! I'm related to a famous Stewart Sister!!